This is for those who are planning on running away to the United States. Do not do it! Don't jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Not a discouragement, but enlightenment.
Don't count on people to help you. It is a dog eat dog situation. So many opportunities would not be available to you for jobs, housing, transportation and medical consultation. You will have to pay for virtually everything.
Today ICE is making sweeps to arrest illegal immigrants. The thing is, wherever they swoop, they will drag not only their target but everyone else around to check their status then off to the overcrowded detention centers.
The fear I see while doing my rounds is alarming. People are so afraid of ICE. They have been opening their doors for me at first knock, but now I have to convince them that I am who I said I am.
For example, if someone want to host you, their fear would be what if ICE raids and have them hauled in for harbouring illegal immigrant? The situation is tense right now. I know it is worse in other States where the residents are generally supportive of kicking out illegals. It is not surprising that we no longer hear much from those who always advise to stay away from Black areas to settle in White areas. Since Trump started the cleanup, those people have been silent.
All is just about fear, fear of not in possession of legal documents.
It's a pity that those who are stuck here I mean trapped do not share their experiences nor tell others of their pitfalls.
On vacation my status remain same. For me, I was pressured to come by family members resident here. I don't have to worry about feeding, clothing, accommodation, transportation and going round for interviews. I had tremendous supports, but that was my circumstances. I didn't even have to look. The land was well prepared. All I needed to do was to leap. What is your circumstance? Is your landing prepared? Because that is what this is all about.
My advice to anyone, visit first before making a decision. You will see things from a wider perspective that will help you to make that good decisions for you and your family.
Statistics
According to Immigration and Customs Enforcement statistics, 256,085 people were deported in fiscal year 2018, up from 226,119 removals in fiscal year 2017.
That is still significantly less than the number of people deported during fiscal year 2012, when the Obama administration deported more than 400,000 people.
Staffing limitations and budget constraints generally limit how many people the US can detain and deport and how quickly that process happens. While the Trump administration has said it still focuses on criminals, there was an uptick in the number of people arrested by ICE without criminal records. Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor.
In Trump's first year, ICE arrested 109,000 criminals and 46,000 people without criminal records, a 171% increase in the number of non-criminal individuals arrested compared to 2016.
CNN first reported in May that the administration had been considering deporting migrant families with court-ordered removals in an attempt to "send a message" to smugglers, according to a senior administration official.
As part of the consideration, the administration had been looking at an operation rolled out in the late years of Obama's presidency and revived in Trump's first year in office that also targeted families.
In 2017, ICE apprehended 650 individuals during a four-day operation, dubbed Operation Border Guardian/Border Resolve, which targeted families and unaccompanied children. According to the agency, it was the second iteration of the operation which had also taken place at the start of 2016 following an uptick in families and unaccompanied children crossing the border illegally.
Similar to the upcoming ICE operation, all individuals had court-ordered removals.
Source: NairaLand




0 Comments